Further Education and Training (FEAT)

JOYs FEAT Program covers following projects and activities: Student sponsorships - (Through sponsorships economically/socially disadvantaged children get the chance of a good education, which wouldn't have been possible without JOY's and other philanthropists’ efforts.) Further Training at Nepal Traditional Handicraft Training Centre (NTHTC) – (The cooperation with NTHTC aims to support socially/economically disadvantaged students that seek for knowledge and skills of traditional handicraft. It should furthermore help to promote and protect Nepalese traditional handicrafts.) Further training and/or studies for disadvantaged Youth – (FEAT for YOUTH is a program for young people in Nepal organized by NAFA and JOY. The aim is to improve employment opportunities for Nepali school leavers. These students are disadvantaged due to their family situation, poverty or living in remote areas.) Trainings for social worker and teacher – (To professionalize social work in Nepal Trainings are required. It will help social worker to understand the variety of their working field much better and to support those they take care of. The Trainings are available for all social worker that are interested in broadening their knowledge and learning through exchange. Trainings are provided esp. in areas that relate to Social work such as Project Management, and for teacher working in schools in remote parts of Nepal.) Volunteer program- (Volunteers can be a big and unique contribution in parts of development work. A close co-operation with local Nepalese partners in a setting of an intercultural partnership enables to learn new things and to compile together ways of solutions. A good preparation and guidance for the Volunteering is essential though. JOY is providing such training for all interested Volunteers.) With its strong increase of educational institutions in the past 50 years, Nepal has taken a very strong development, especially considering that it started with only a handful of schools. However, the quality of teaching and the qualifications of teachers at state institutions have stagnated. Expenditure on Education in Nepal is about $ 8 per person. In average, 70% of children in school age attend the first class. Only 10% of them reach the tenth grade and less than a quarter of them pass the SLC exam. About 80% of children attend state schools. Over the years it became clear that only 20% of students, who attend and pass the SLC, come from precisely those governmental schools (the remaining 80% come from private schools). “For now, free education is just an ideologically-correct excuse to provide below-standard education without having to meet the rigorous standards of child-centred quality schooling. Whoever uses the slogan mishulka siksha (free education) must be made to also work towards developing sthar (standards).” [Source: Dixit, Shanta “Education, deception, state and society” In: Dixit, Kanak Mani; Ramachandaran, Shastri (2002) “State of Nepal”. Himal Books. Lalitpur]

Upcoming Events

Testimonials and Recognitions

Thank you very much! I would like to give you big thank for your good cooperation and golden…